What You Need:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine self-rising flour and sugar in a bowl. Stir, mixing thoroughly with a spoon.
- Add the shortening and blend. Use a pastry blender if you have one, for better mixing.
- In a separate container, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients from step 3 to flour mixture. Stir with a fork until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Place a few tablespoons of flour on a plate.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of batter onto the flour, and roll them into balls.
- Place these balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the ball by making a depression in the center.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, in an oven preheated to 425 degrees.