What You Need:
- Large plastic cup
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- “Tools” (spoons, paper towel, sponges, etc.)
When oil tankers accidentally spill their cargo of oil into the ocean, they cause a huge environmental danger. Oil is extremely hard to remove from the water and the beaches, and the environment is damaged. In this experiment, you can see how hard it is to remove oil from sand.
(This experiment can be messy, so you might want to do it outdoors.)
- Fill a plastic cup with sand and oil and mix it well.
- Pick some “tools” to work with. You could use a spoon, a straw, paper towel, an old toothbrush, a sponge–anything! You could also try to use soap and water to get the oil off the sand.
- Use your tools to try and clean the oil off of the sand.
Use any idea that comes to your head and help save the environment!
Submitted by Nicole