What You Need:
- Food coloring
- Plastic cups
- Pencil or markers
- Paper towels
- Cookie sheet (optional)
Note: This craft requires preparation a day in advance.
- Use one plastic cup for each color of macaroni you want. Fill each cup 3/4 full with water, add some drops of food coloring and stir.
- Add some macaroni to each cup and let it soak for about 20 – 25 minutes. Stir the macaroni a few times to keep it from sticking together.
- Pour the contents of each cup into the kitchen strainer (one cup at a time), and lay the macaroni out on paper towels to dry. It is a good idea to have the paper towels on something like a cookie sheet so you won’t stain your countertop with the food color.
- Let the macaroni dry overnight.
- Draw your design on a piece of paper. It can be a landscape, some crazy aliens, or just a neat pattern. You will be using the macaroni to fill in the color.
- Once the macaroni is dry, “color” your picture with the different colored macaroni. Fill in the spaces with macaroni and glue each piece down to the paper. Fill in as much or as little as you like. Now that you are done you can show off your artistic talents to your friends!