What You Need:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/3 cups egg whites (11 whites)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Take a large bowl and add the egg whites. Then beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Boil to a thread the sugar and water. Then pour it slowly into the stiffly beaten egg whites (not dry) and continue beating until the mixture is cool.
- Sift and measure 1 cup of flour, then sift it with the cream of tartar 4 times. Add it to the meringue (eggs and sugar mixture), and when well mixed add the vanilla.
- Pour into an ungreased tube pan and bake at 275 F. for 1 1/2 hours.