What You Need:
- 1/4 of an Alka Seltzer tablet
- 1 Fuji film canister – the kind where the lid fits inside the canister. The others don’t work!
- Warm water
Be sure to do this experiment outside and with adult supervision
- Fill the film canister 1/2 full with warm water.
- Drop in 1/4 tablet of Alka Seltzer – no more.
- Snap the lid tightly into the canister, turn it over on a hard surface, and stand back! The sodium bicarbonate will make the canister launch into the air. If you vary the temperature of the water, your rocket will shoot to different heights. The warmer the water, the higher it will go.
- If you want to make a rocket launch pad, cut three slits about 1 inch high in the bottom of a toilet paper tube. Bend the slits so you can tape them to a paper plate. You might want to decorate your plate and tube first.
- When you are ready to launch your rocket, drop the prepared film canister into the toilet paper tube and stand back!
Submitted by Professor O.K. Noggin