What You Need:
- Empty metal food can
- Old towel or rag
- Paint and brush (optional)
- Make sure the top of your can has been taken off completely with a can opener.
- Pack an old rag tightly inside the can to give it support while you punch holes. Then, take your hammer and nail to punch some holes in your metal can.
- Remove the rag and cut the bottom off the can with a can opener so that both sides are open.
- Decorate the outside of your can with paint.
- Place the candle in your luninary on a safe, heat resistant surface, and watch as the light glows through your patterned holes.
- If you prefer, a battery operated candle works just as well!
The holes punched in the can may be sharp so be careful!
You can fill the can with water and freeze it overnight to make the can sturdier for punching the holes.